Friday, March 20, 2015

Ruth Kallio-Mielke - Friday, March 20

Week 5 - Matthew 18:23-35
Friday, March 20, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Ruth Kallio-Mielke

We need to remember that we all sin and that only by the grace of God are we washed clean of our sins. Obsessing about something we did wrong or seeking revenge against someone who sins against us is a vicious cycle of sin and will only cause more hurt. We need to end the cycle of sin by forgiving ourselves and others just like God forgives us.

People (including me) do things that are not right. It is hard to forgive ourselves and remember that just because we did something wrong, we aren’t bad people, just ordinary sinners that God forgives.

The scripture story of forgiveness speaks to me to remind me that I need to be loving, patient and forgiving with myself and all those I interact with. I often find myself losing patience with myself, as well as with people and things around me. God forgives us and with this forgiveness we can move on to do great things. If we don’t accept his forgiveness, we will wallow in regret and waste time and energy on self-pity and think bad thoughts about people around us. If we accept forgiveness and move forward in peace, we can spread that peace to all we interact with. This has a huge snowball effect to create a better, more peaceful environment wherever we go.

Thank you, God, for reminding us that you created us just as you want us. When we make mistakes, help us to accept your forgiveness with grace and grant that same forgiveness to all the people around us. Give us the strength to project a calm, peaceful approach to the world you blessed us with. In Your Name we pray. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment