Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Conor Williams - March 18

Week 5 - Matthew 18:23-35
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Conor Williams


When I was a young man, I lived in Sydney, Australia, for a few years, far away from home and family. As is the way with young people, I was experimenting with life and pushing different boundaries. I got caught up in a pattern of destructive behavior which was unhealthy for me, but I couldn’t let go of it. It robbed the joy from my life and became a heavy burden to carry around. At lunch time at work I started going to mass at a local Jesuit church in North Sydney near my office. After a number of visits, the priest announced confession would be available. I resolved to go.

So one evening after work I went up to the chapel to attend confession. I was surprised to see that people went up to the side of the altar and knelt down by the priest to say their confession rather than entering a confessional box, which was what I was used to. I approached the altar and knelt in front of the priest. He invited me to confess my sins and ask for God’s forgiveness, which I did. And then the priest parted from the script and asked me, “Do you love Jesus?” I said, “I think so.” He asked me again, and I replied in the same way, saying, “I think so.” He asked me a third time, “Do you love Jesus?” but this time I replied, “I do.” He pronounced my sins forgiven and gave me penance, and I headed back to my pew.

I was blessed with a profound sense of relief after the confession as if the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders. And I felt joy again and a deep sense of gratefulness to God.

As a student of the Bible, I have come to see that God is ever merciful to those who seek His mercy including even murderers, adulterers and thieves. It is this grace that gives me great comfort and immense hope for the redemption of this broken world.

Lord, may we cherish your forgiveness and grace and share them boldly to nurture the beloved community.



No comments:

Post a Comment