Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pr. Marilyn Miller - March 17

Week 4 - Luke 23:32-43
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Pr. Marilyn Miller



Up until the end of His journey, Jesus was offering forgiveness to those who loved him as well as those who hurt him.  We are called to do the same.  But, we often have a hard time forgiving those who hurt us and sometimes even those who love us.  Those who have worked at this for a while understand that forgiveness is for both the forgiver and the forgiven, not just for the one who offended or wounded.   If you can’t forgive others, the wounding of your soul happens over and over again, until you release it.  And if you don’t release it, it eats you up inside and can make you a bitter and angry person.  This bitterness and anger can block your blessings for a season or a lifetime.
Many of you know Reformation has had a pretty challenging experience with the sale of our church home and then leasing it for a short period of time until we could relocate.  We have been wounded over and over again throughout this experience.  As the pastor of this congregation, I have had to surrender my pain over and over again, just to be present with those who perpetrated these wounds.  This was quite difficult, but as a leader, I know it is important that I follow God’s lead in dealing with harm in a way that has integrity and liberation for me, no matter what the other party does. 
In my mind, I thought about all kinds of terrible punishments and said all kinds of terrible things.  I had to ask God for forgiveness over and over again.  God has reassured me of this forgiveness.  Therefore, I am called to offer nothing less.  Thank God, that even until our last day, like the thief on the cross, we can ask for forgiveness and offer it to others as well.
Dear God, thank you for the forgiveness of my sins, known and unknown. Forgive me for my unwillingness to forgive others.  Transform my heart to be like Christ’s, so I can be forgiving, too.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment