Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Deb Endean - Wednesday, March 11

Week 4 - Luke 23:32-43
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Deb Endean


I find this to be one of the most painful, shameful passages of scripture.  Jesus’ suffering and the injustice of his execution. The mockery, the taunts to prove who he was by saving himself, when the proof was manifest in his choice to die. It’s too much to bear.  My outrage quickly turns to shame and sadness, however, because I know I am no better than his persecutors, and no matter how hard I try, nothing I do can change that.

But then Christ’s words from the cross remind me that He did something to change that, forever:  “Father, forgive them . . . .”  Forgiveness, releasing us from the punishment we justly deserve.  Forgiveness, won for us forever by Jesus’ sacrifice, in his death and resurrection.

But why?  Why was our redemption so important to God that he gave his only Son? Why was Jesus willing to take on our sins to earn for us the freedom of forgiveness?  Perhaps forgiveness is not an end unto itself.  Perhaps we are forgiven so that we can reclaim the relationship God intends for us to have with Him.

The first thief just wanted to be let off the hook.  The forgiveness Jesus offers is not a “get out of jail free” card that wipes the slate clean so that we can resume our lives unchanged.   The second thief acknowledges that his punishment is just.  In repenting, he accepts the forgiveness Jesus offered.  He asks only that Jesus remember him, a request for reconciliation.  Jesus’ reply, “Today you will be with me in paradise,” affirms that His forgiveness clears the way for us to be restored to our Father.

Forgiveness is Jesus’ hand stretched out to us, breaking through the separation created by our sin. Like the two thieves, it’s up to us to decide. Will you grasp that out-stretched hand, and accept Jesus’ invitation to “be with me,” entering into a new and life-giving relationship with God?

Loving Jesus, thank you.  Let me take your hand and accept the redeeming gift of forgiveness, so that I too might be with you, forever.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment