Monday, March 23, 2015

Darla Hium - March 23

Week 5 - Matthew 18:23-35
Monday, March 23, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Darla Hium


I was raised in a small farming community in central Wisconsin that was predominantly Catholic and Lutheran. But, we also had one Jewish family, an African American teacher, a gay teacher and a gay principal. This was in the late 60’s and early 70’s, and you can only imagine the names, slights and rumors that all of these people endured in this community of white, European immigrants. I often think about how lonely it must have been for them. The nearest synagogue was sixty miles away in Eau Claire, the nearest substantial black community four hours away in Milwaukee, and I am not even sure where the nearest gay community for middle-aged men was. All of them could have internalized the insults and slurs and become angry.

But each of them had the grace to share his “differentness” with all who were willing to learn from them. My Luther League decided that we wanted to experience our Jewish roots, and I celebrated my first Pesach Seder when I was fourteen. I saw the world of white privilege through the eyes of my black teacher. I may not have learned a lot about physics, but I learned valuable lessons about my life and the lives of blacks, just 100 years removed from the Civil War. I was taught Bible lessons (and a little science) by my gay teacher, and my gay principal instilled wisdom, discipline and a love for learning. By the time I graduated, I learned not to look at their religion, race or sexual preference, but rather to see them as individuals with incredible gifts.

I am grateful that all of these people handled the obstacles of living in rural Wisconsin with grace. They forgave the ignorance they faced and, by their actions, helped me become a more loving Christian.


Dear Lord, help me put my own prejudices aside and experience the gifts every individual can share. Forgive me when I fail to remember that everyone is your creation and worthy of my love. Guide me with compassion and understanding that I might become a living example of your grace. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment