Thursday, March 26, 2015

Dennis McBride - March 26

Week 6 - Luke 7:36-47
Thursday, March 26, 2015
A Forgiveness Reflection from Dennis McBride

Reading Luke 7:36-47, I am always touched by the woman’s sincerity and faith, and struck by the harshness of Jesus’ lesson to the Pharisee. In this moment, we see God both as loving Redeemer and as strict Judge of mankind. This is not the tender Jesus of children’s songs, but the Jesus who sees through hypocrisy.

As we learn in so many Gospel passages, Jesus does not care who has a high position in society; He is the protector of the weak and small. Outcasts of all kinds – the sinner, the prostitute, the Samaritan, women in a male-dominated society – find favor with Jesus when they accept his love.

Who among us is without sin? Who hasn’t felt stung by humiliation for having done wrong? Who hasn’t felt alone in a dark hour, aware that, whatever others may think of us, God knows when we have sinned? There is no escaping the painful truth of such moments. Like the woman in Luke 7:36-47, our sin brings us to the verge of despair, but Jesus gives solace when we ask for forgiveness.

As Luther said, “My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” In dark moments, I often turn to a favorite old hymn, “Softly and Tenderly”:

Oh, for the wonderful love He has promised, Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon, Pardon for you and for me.

I am reminded that, no matter what the sin, Jesus will forgive us if we ask sincerely. Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling, calling to sinners, come home. Jesus will welcome me home with love, if I seek forgiveness with sincerity and have the humility to ask.

Lord, forgive me for my pride. Please help me to love others as you love me. Help me to forgive those who have done me wrong. With the gifts you have given me, let me do your work. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment