Monday, February 23, 2015

Michael Wolaver: February 23

Week 1 - Luke 15:11-15 
Monday, February 23, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Michael Wolaver

The story of the prodigal son and the forgiveness of God speaks to me in a few ways. First, it is a really good reminder of how to live your life, to not hold grudges and to live joyfully. The father certainly could have punished or not accepted his son back. But he chose to be joyful about his son’s return. I think the key point here is he had a choice. Our attitudes are shaped by our choices; we choose to be resentful, annoyed and entitled. We also choose to be happy, to forgive and live joyfully. The point to me here is we have the choice, and God wants us to live joyfully and celebrate life’s blessings.

Another way that this story resonates with me is that the son initially chooses not to come back to his father because of shame. He had to sink to the lowest of the low to decide to come back to his father, not sure how he would be received. Living through God makes you understand that God knows you are imperfect but are always welcome in his Kingdom. So do not be afraid to go back to God when you have sinned; you will always be welcomed into the kingdom.

Lastly, personally, this passage speaks to me with how I have always struggled with forgiveness to myself. I hold grudges against myself for things that I said and did through the years and beat myself up over them (even things that I did more than 20 years ago). It is not a joyful way to live and not living the way God wants us to. This passage is a good reminder that if God does not want me to hold grudges against others, this certainly applies to how I treat myself. For me, this is easier said than done. But I will continue to commit to live joyfully, working to always forgive others and myself.



Dear great and gracious God, please help us to remember to love and live the way that you have taught us, free of grudges, and to choose to live joyfully. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment