Saturday, February 21, 2015

Helen Chang: February 21

Saturday, February 21, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Helen Chang

In a world where our children move from our homes and daily lives, it is good to realize they respect their heritage. Life has changed little from this story of the Prodigal Son and his Dutiful Brother, where a loving Father makes all the difference.

Daniel Chang, a new St. Olaf graduate summarized his African Peace Corp Experience to his parents:

The overwhelming nature of village life in Africa is hard to describe. The very nature of people is so radically different that nothing can prepare you for it. My new home was a society of a few dozen people living in mud huts in the middle of the rainforest. They had never gone to school, never seen a map or globe, and had never seen a lake or horizon. All they knew were the people and animals they lived with, and the plants they used for food and medicine. I, on the other hand, came from an academic lifestyle where people expected me to succeed and achieve. These men have no hope for a better life, no education to support them, and no opportunities. Hope for the future was all but non-existent. It is very difficult to internalize how this must feel to a young man. In America we are taught that anybody can rise to the loftiest of positions. Possibility alone is worth risking everything. It dawned on me that both my grandfather and father were classic examples of this. I have great respect for my father. I knew it was not an easy thing to leave his homeland and go somewhere foreign with no money, no connections, and no real plans. My pride for my father and grandfather was teaching me about the world. More importantly, I saw my place in it and the opportunities that lay before me. I draw strength often by conjuring up the faces of my villagers, my grandfather, and my own father, who came alone from a war-torn country to this land of possibility. What I do is easy by comparison. I owe much to the many people who opened my eyes to the world, whether they are in Africa, India or elsewhere. I also owe much to my grandfather and my father who sacrificed and took a chance to make a life for me.


Prayerfully:
 O God, as you seek to make the human family one family across the earth, we commit ourselves to you. You have made each one of us unique and special; help us to appreciate the differences. Help us to appreciate our common humanity. Grant that we see the beauty of our diversity and the beauty of our commonality. Help us to build the kind of family that guards each person’s dignity and each person’s pride. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment