Friday, February 20, 2015

Kait McCullough: February 20

Week 1 - Luke 15:11-15


Friday, February 20, 2015

A Reflection on Forgiveness from Kait McCullough



The light at the end of the tunnel can be seen as forgiveness. In order to see the light, you usually need to be in a dark place. First, we need to admit to ourselves that we need to be forgiven, then ask God and follow God’s plan as the brother in the scripture reading did. 

It was a total of five seconds of my life, but it felt like a lifetime as I watched myself drop into darkness and come into the light of forgiveness. I found myself yelling even louder than my kids. I had told myself that I wouldn’t yell at my kids the way my dad did at me, and yet there we were. In that moment of devastation and failure, I could not remember what I was so upset about. I felt shame surround me, and then I was able to admit to myself my mistake and ask for God’s forgiveness. In the moment I realized I also needed to ask my kids to forgive me. That’s something my father never did, but I could use the moment to teach instead of fester resentment. Even as I stopped yelling and called, “Time out! Family hug!” I felt lighter. As I apologized and asked my kids to forgive me, they looked at me with those eyes, as only children of God can, and said, “Yes, I forgive you!” It was as if God was speaking to me through my children. The unconditional love I felt through their forgiveness is a true reflection of how God loves us and wants us to feel God’s love. 
Thank you, God, for your message of forgiveness today. The innocence of a child exudes forgiveness and forgives all by showing unconditional love to us. As I look to forgive myself and others in this season of my life, I will remember to look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Please allow me to see my need for forgiveness and feel your love. I know that you will lead me through my own tunnel and allow me to forgive others, as you forgive me, with unconditional love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment