Friday, March 6, 2015

Sandy Cristan - Friday, March 6

Week 3 - Matthew 5:43-48
Friday, March 6, 2015
A Reflection on Forgiveness from Sandy Cristan


To forgive is to set the prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you. ~ Lewis B. Smedes
Everyone, Lord? I know you give your best to everyone in the warmth of the sun and the nourishing rain. I’m supposed to react in love to everyone too? Really? You know I have forgiveness issues, right? It’s a challenge to forgive and love as a way of life. Everyday? Everyone?
I visit my dentist every six months for a check up. I love my dentist, yet going to see him is not a favorite way to pass time for me. He checks me out, points out my dental faults, drills as needed, and fills the space with new material. I regularly need to seek God’s supernatural powers to drill and remove decay from my heart and fill that space with love and forgiveness. This will free the forgiveness prisoner that is me!
When I seek you for a check up, God, as my ultimate loving example, I can more easily see how to reflect your perfect character to others in all circumstances. The world’s example sneaks in rather often. Remind me to keep my eyes on your perfection, not the worldview.
Prayer:
Father God, help me to strive for your perfection, which guides me to react in your love even to those I don’t necessarily feel love for! Teach me to respond in prayer, Lord, so that your light and love shines through all I do today. (I’ll be sure to need that again tomorrow and the next day and...). Use me today, Lord, to reach out in your love to at least three people. Guide me to identify those people that need to see your perfection. Hold me close, God; I need lots of practice here. I seek your glory as I reach out in faith. Amen.
(When you have a spare moment, read this passage in The Message. It may offer a fresh perspective for you.)


No comments:

Post a Comment